Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Creativity!!

Creativity. The word is so simple and yet the creative process is so complicated. Recently, one of my nephews, invited me to visit his blog and review his poems. When I was visiting his blog it suddenly occured to me as what he must be thinking when he created his poems. This thought continued to haunt me and made me get deeply involved about this subject, so much so that I thought it would be better if I write this down so maybe it can help me or the readers of this blog to find answers to somewhat similar quest. So I just decided to jot it down here and share this with everyone.

So what do you think that Creativity is and how one goes about creating something? I know for fact that to create something is not very easy for me I have to go deep into my imagination and collect my thoughts to be able to present them in a written format so that when I read it I can enjoy and may be some of my readers following me can agree with me or share their thoughts on the subject.

I think in order to be able to create something one must be driven by an idea, or a concept or thought that drive them to create in whatever art form one choose to express. It requires certain sensibilities, insight, awareness of the surroundings, sensitivities as how one reacts to different situations, circumstances and then compare that with one's own experience to be able to express them in the best of their ability in an art form. An artiste may express these thoughts, imaginations, feelings in the form of a painting. A writer may draw a lot of from his or her real life experiences and or where they have been a witness to some thought provoking experiences and weave it through the medium of their language by choosing appropriate words that help them to express it beautifully. An actor may draw similar experiences and search their own soul to pour in the presentation of a character; to portray a picture for the audience using the screen of their own minds.

The selection of creative medium is a training process. The more you use an art form to express your inner feelings, turmoil, romance, pain, despair becomes the medium that you get mentally trained for your expression. We all have heard of term used by so many writers or artistes called 'mental block'.What is this mental block? It may be confusing for the people who are not involved in any creative process, but the people who are in creative process faces this all the time. In simple form, your mind struggles as how to express the inner thoughts or feelings by using the art form one is trained on. It is very difficult to make it a mechanical process that you plan to create something and you schedule that you will do so every day from 9 AM to 12 PM. No, it is not going to happen. If someone is doing that, it can not be a true expression of creativity. Alternately may be one get so comfortable or experienced that they can draw from their inner mind just by making an instant demand and create an art form.

The biggest creator of this world is God. He has created so much beauty in so many different forms all around us. Sometime I wish how wonderful it would be if whatever I think or feel I can be in a position to create it immediately. But then I guess it probably would not be so satisfying also. Let me know what do you think?How we can improve creative process? Do you have any experience in overcoming and or mastering the creatvity? I am waiting to hear from you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me creativity is a spark of imagination that one is able to channel into one of the mediums you have described in your post. Creativity can either come through deep thinking, like Michelangelo apparently did or like Paul McCartney who used to dream up his songs.

Either way, everyone is creative. The question is, who is able to translate his/her creative ideas into a medium which can be understood by people.

Kudos on your blog. Do keep writing!!

alka mishra said...

i like creativity ,i love creativity .without creativity world will be dead

Jupiter Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.